It is easy to fall in love with the midori traveller’s notebook. Easy to carry and versatile to use; unlike any other planner system in the market, this will really travel with you wherever you go. The best thing about the traveler’s notebook is its “inserts”. I think it was the unbelievable insert system that attracted me to it in the first place. You can use as many as you are comfortable inserting into the leather jacket, or as little as one if that’s what you prefer. Once the insert is complete it becomes a keepsake of the time past. I recently became a proud owner of two fauxdoris. They are vibrant shades of neon yellow and a soft robin egg blue.
I am quite sure I want my midori to be fat and juicy but I was unsure of the run of mill standard inserts that are sold as an accessory. I have seen a lot of creativity in terms of decorating the covers but I was apprehensive about the paper inside. Would it bleed? Would it be enough? After all I do write a lot but then many would I need? Unsure of how many to buy, I decided to make some for myself at the moment.
When I started making the first insert, I literally thought of making only one to see how I liked it. To my surprise it fit rather well into the fauxdori. The supplies were easily available, the turn around time to make each insert was less than 15 mins, so I decided to make multiple companions to my first one. The more I made them the more I customized them. I even made one with Bristol paper. This will take any and every medium and I am going to paint in it.
If you would like to follow along, below is the description of how I made my own set of inserts.
Supplies you will need
Needle and waxed thread
Clear packing tape
As per the size of the midori, I trimmed the paper using the paper cutter. My pages were sized 20(h)x 23(w) when laid flat open.
With the help of the bone folder I made a stack of folded sheets that would later turn into a notebook. Each insert would have about 8-12 sheets depending upon the thickness of paper. The insert with the Bristol paper has only 4 sheets laid out flat. My 8 sheets insert gives me a total of 32 pages, 12 sheets a total of 48 pages respectively. The reason why the Bristol paper insert has only 4 sheets is because the paper is rather thick. Even with the help of a bone folder, I was unable to make a booklet with more then 4 sheets that would easily sit in the midori with the other inserts without creating bulk. Perhaps I will try to look for other paper types that can fit into the midori and serve the same purpose.
Once the sheets were aligned, I trimmed the patterned cardstock down to size. By covering the cardstock with clear packing tape I made it stronger and stain resistant. I have been using this small trick since school days to faux-laminate whatever needed structure.
Once that was done, all that was left was to align all the sheets together and eyeball the center line to make three dots with a pencil for binding. To hold it all in place I used my super gigantic paper clips.
I then proceeded to make punctures into the paper with the help of an awl.
Sewing from this point onwards is easy. I use the simplest thread stitch method. It is illustrated in the picture below.
And voila the inserts are ready ! Below is a picture of how they look inside the midori
Hope you enjoyed the process of making the inserts and will join me for the next installment on making a fabric dori.
Thanks for stopping by